Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jane Austen and Cat Repair

I have succumbed to Jane Austen, I have fought for years trying to ignore all the new Masterpiece Classics of Jane Austen, "Emma" and "Northanger Abbey" (which I have to say I don't get) But "Emma" finally got me. This new production of "Emma", on Masterpiece Classic is really good and I found myself being drawn in, now I'm sorry I missed the first episode. You can take look here to read about the production in case your PBS hasn't shown it yet.

In 1998 a movie version of "Emma" came out with Gwyneth Paltrow, I really enjoyed it so much that I got the DVD. But, what I really enjoyed was Jeremy Northam...I also enjoyed "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. But Northanger Abbey I don't get. Oh, and I loved the 1991 version of "Persuasion" on PBS Masterpiece, with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds.

So where is all this going.. I went to Audible (my online audiobook site) and searched for Jane Austen. They have multiple copies "Emma", one can download. So picked one downloaded to my library then toItunes and I now I just need to burn it to disc. I have mentioned that I love audo books which I rediscovered because of retinal surgeries. The recovery time post surgery is rough, you have to say fat or one sided for about week. After the failure of the two retinal surgeries (which came about post cataract surgery years ago), has left me blind, but I love to read and stitch, but both are hard on one little eye. So since I enjoyed listening to audio books, I have kept up with them while a stitch. I'm building quite a library, and now "Emma" will be added to that library. I also have "Persuasion", "Northanger Abbey", "Sense and Sensibility", and others on my wish list to be downloaded, but one can only listen to one and at a time. I also have her bio to on that list to be download.

So since I know so many of stitching friends have become Jane Austen aficionado's I thought I would announce that I have joined the group. I have gone so far over the edge that I have also renewed my Netflix membership, and I have "Miss Austen Regrets" and "The Crown Prince" coming in the mail. The "Crown Prince" is not an Austen piece but its a historical drama on the Hapsburg Family, I also love historical drama.

Now for some cat news, allergies and mites have taken a toll on two of felines. Edward, my beautiful boy (look at slide show) had a swollen ear (a hematoma from scratching) back in February his ear was so swollen, that I really thought it would pop. I had seen him scratching, but never imagined he contracted ear mites. We had treated all the kittens, Beau and Annie so it only took a quick second or two for one to go in his ear. I got my vet to come (this right before the big snow that hit in February) . She drained it, and put a small drain it (a small cath tip) so I could keep draining it, also he was on antibiotics. Well the snow knock out power for 3 days and I could only see to get it drained once a day. So his ear is now crumbled. He was such a handsome boy (still is) but his ear.. well its done. In May I had her my vet come (yes she's a traveling vet she comes to the house) co look at his eyes and ears. They looked terrible, like he had been scratching them, but cats rarely rub their eyes. She said he bad allergies, which is what I thought (I was going through the same thing, our pollen count was high due to snow storm in February delaying the trees doing what ever they do). I got meds for the eyes and ears. But then I had come in June because of the hematoma starting, and she drained it, and said I could keep doing it. Well to do it, I had to poke it, that really hurt and I was not his friend. So last Friday she came, he got knocked out, had the ear drained and stitched up differently (so I won't have to keep draining it). He get antibiotics three times a day, and ear ointment but he doesn't hate me as much. So here is my Josh (big as he is) with his stitches ...


Well you had enough of my ramblings about my cat and my rediscovery of Jane Austen, tomorrow I should have update picture of LD Bienvenue. I'm down to the home stretch until I get the name confirmation.

4 comments:

  1. Jean you sound like me! lol! I went through all of Jane Austen's books on Audible too -- it was a reread for me on all of them. So much fun! I looooove audiobooks! They're a must with stitching IMO! I haven't watched any of the PBS pieces yet. Maybe sometime. Loved the Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow though! Have you seen Becoming Jane? Good movie too! Sorry about your poor cat -- looks and sounds painful! Looking forward to seeing your LD Bienvenue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Edward! My heart goes out to him. Poor guy can't tell you about his pain. Good for you to have the vet take care of him. Lucky you to have a traveling vet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To really get Northanger Abbey, you almost have to read some Anne Radcliff or Walpole novels -- they were quite popular when Jane Austin was writing, and Northanger Abbey is a spoof on the gulibility of young girls reading these true Gothic Novels.

    I'll get down from my teaching block now.

    Edy/NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, Yes Margaret you and I are on the same page about the audio books. Remember when I first started using audible, I had problems with what setting to down load on, well I'm on a roll now. Emma is downloaded and burned (11 cd's in their case and reading for my stitching and listening pleasure) Barb, its not Edward (I probably messed that up)the guy your looking is Joshua aka Josh. Is ear is getting better, now he runs when he thinks I have his clindamycin drops in my hand, or his ear drops... but then he will come up and see me and purr.. love hate thing, lol! Edy I will look into those, I really want to try an understand Northanget Abbey.. thank you'all for your comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete